Sunday, March 11, 2012

Peak Peak

So, I went on quite a grueling hike up Picacho Peak today (if you click the link, you'll see that there was a Civil War re-enactment going at the same time! Did you know that Westernmost skirmish battle of the Civil War was fought at Picacho Peak? We didn't see the re-eanacment but we did occasionally hear cannon fire during the hike). *Also, apparently "Picacho" means "peak" in Spanish, so the name can be translated as "Peak Peak." **Also, apparently, the whole Peak is a lava flow, but scientists have never been able to figure out where the volcano that exploded the lava was (clearly, aliens involved somehow, no?).


I've passed Picacho Peak numerous times; it's one of those landmarks that indicates you're leaving Tucson for real when you head on a road trip. It's right by the similarly iconic Ostrich Farm and it's not far away from the prison sign that says "Do not stop for hitchhikers."


I thought that after a shower I was gonna collapse into a heap. But instead, I find myself looking at pics and movies from the hike and wanting to post them (admittedly, I am doing this lying in bed, from which I shall not stir). I haven't even got all the photos that my friend N. took, but I the ones I have are so GOLD that I MUST post them. 


This one should not make laugh as much as it does, given that it's me (trying) to be funny. 



Here are the boning flies referenced:



Here's a cactus that looks like a butt:

Shut up, YOU'RE immature

Here's N. explaining the hike: 


And you can sort of see me climbing down a rock (sort of). 


And here I was trying to look like a badass, and then M. looked at it and was like "I thought you were trying to look sad!" So I call the picture, "Sad Badass." 



Here's a picture of Cute Em. pointing out the peak from down below:


We hiked up there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you almost killed yourself in order to make a joke. That's the Laura I know and love!

Heather said...

I just love your description of that wilderness space just outside of Tucson. The Peak, then the Ostrich Farm! Ha! Takes me back to old times.

Easy O said...

Thanks, dudes!