Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hello, Hello Giggles

Hello and welcome there, anyone reading this who came over from Hello Giggles. I have Julia Gazdag to thank for hooking me up there (the beautiful story of our meeting is documented here). Anyway, I'm writing a column there called "Adventures in Thrifting," in which I document (mis)adventures in the glorious seedy underbelly of secondhand shopping. My last column was about winter coats; I caused some very minor controversy by suggesting that warmth shouldn't be your #1 concern while picking out winter coats. As an "outtake," here's a picture of me in one of my winter coats that didn't make it into the post:




It's cute AND warm! So we can all live together in harmony. It's actually so warm that I began to sweat during the thirty seconds it took to take this picture.

So I can love warm coats, too, even though I don't normally like that puffy material with those little rings (what are they called? Obviously, my fashion vocab is sorely lacking). They usually make me look/feel like some version of the StayPuft marshmallow man/Michelin Man.

This coat was, however, not thrifted but given to me by Ms. Shantha, who thought it made her look sallow; in my humble opinion, she was wrong--it looked super-cute on her, but I took it anyway. And then I've never worn it cause I moved to Tucson and DAMN that thing is warm.

I know--great story!

Anyway, if you're a newb to my blog, you should know that by far the most popular post is this, in which I recount the time that the Apple company accused me of peeing on my computer. It's by far the most popular entry not because of my clever writing and eye for the strange humor in the quotidian events of life, but because I have an image of a biohazard symbol in. And every day, tons of people all over the world apparently search for "biohazard" "red biohazard sign" "biohazard montreal" (a two-fer, cause I have some entries about Montreal, too!) "biohazard danger" etc. and thus a continuous stream of visitors finds my blog. Glamorous!

For a while, this was the most popular entry, because Pamela Ribon (through the enjoyment of whose writing I started reading Hello Giggles in the first place) tweeted it. I'd like to point out that in that entry I said this:

Next, I expect Go Fug Yourself to write a piece on Supernatural that references Marcel Proust and romance novels and all of my obsessions will come together in an explosion of sparkles and rainbows

And as I pointed out below, Go Fug Yourself is recapping Ringer, and Misha Collins (of Supernatural) is set to guest-star on it. FUG GIRLS! YOU CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN! ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS FIND A WAY TO MENTION PROUST AND ROMANCE NOVELS WHEN YOU RECAP THE EPISODE WITH MISHA COLLINS IN IT, AND YOU WILL HAVE MADE ALL OF MY DREAMS COME TRUE!

Totally easy! You could just be like "Poor Twin has a positively Proustian moment in which she flashes back to a scruffy-in-a-bad-way dude --let's just say this one would not make the cut to be a model for Romance novel covers..." DONE. Pretty pretty pretty please?

No comments: